The “Scrubby” Stuff
Some people like their soap rich, smooth and creamy. Others like it full of “scrubby stuff”. Most of us like it somewhere in between. Exfoliation (removing dead skin cells) is one of the most important parts of cleansing our skin, so a little bit of scrub is actually quite good for you!
Think about those stubborn places like feet and elbows. And check out coffee grounds – use this soap in the kitchen to get the odor of garlic & onion off your hands! These exfoliants also work great in soaps for mechanics, gardeners and farmers.
And, while it might be nice to see tiny rose petals or lavender buds in soap, not many flowers retain their color in cold-process soap – they become little brown globs! Not very appealing! But there are many things that do work well, and they include:
- Apricot Kernel, ground (Prunus armeniaca) – Makes a wonderfully natural, gentle exfoliant.
- Calendula Petals (Jamaica’s “Pot Marigold”, “Garden Marigold”, “Calendula”) (Calendula officinalis) – retains its color beautifully, and adds a lovely texture to the soap; soothing; reduces skin inflammation and itching of eczema & insect bites. Gentle enough for babies!
- Chamomile Petals, Roman (Jamaica’s “Chamomile”) (Anthemis nobilis) – gentle; high content of calcium, magnesium & vitamin A; adds a lovely texture and aroma to the soap; refreshes and softens skin; aids with skin conditions like eczema.
- Citrus Peel (Jamaica’s “Sweet Orange”, “Lemon”, “Key Lime”, “Sweet Lime”, “Ortanique”, and “Mandarin”), dehydrated & ground – creates a gentle exfoliating soap and adds visual appeal & texture.
- Coconut, finely shredded (Jamaica’s “Jelly”) – gentle; creates a great texture when sprinkled on top or incorporated in the soap; a great combination with coconut milk soap
- Coffee Grounds, fine (Jamaica’s “Coffee”, “Caffa”, “Café”) (Coffee arabica) – adds a nice texture and helps combat odors like onion and garlic. Protects against premature aging and many skin disorders.
- Cornmeal – nice and scrubby
- Eucalyptus Leaves, ground (Jamaica’s “Eucalyptus Gum”, “Fever Tree”, “Gum Tree”, “Blue Gum”) (Eucalyptus globulus) – a bit scratchy if not ground finely enough.
- Lemongrass, cut (Jamaica’s “Fever Grass”, “Lemon Grass”) (Cymbopogon Flexuosus) – helps to clear up acne and other skin ailments
- Oatmeal, Organic Colloidal (Avena sativa) – makes a great exfoliant and can help relieve itchy, irritated skin. Oats are healing and soften the skin. Coarse ground is very scrubby, whereas finely ground is very mild.
- Poppy Seeds, Blue (Papaver somniferum) – Gentle but invigorating scrubbing action in soap and creates a beautiful texture!
- Sugar, granulated – Different oils create different types of lathers. Adding sugar helps make a light, bubbly lather with large bubbles. Also popular as an exfoliant in scrubs.
- Vanilla Bean Specks (Seeds) (Vanilla planifolia) – most often used in vanilla-fragranced soaps and in other formulas that require gentle exfoliation.