Give your skin and natural soap a caffeine boost!
Most of us think of coffee as a pick-me-up, a drink to energize us and get us going in the morning. And most of us love and appreciate the taste and aroma of coffee. Green unroasted coffee beans are one of the most-traded agricultural commodities and coffee is one of the most-consumed beverages all over the globe. Have you ever tried it in natural soap?
Would it surprise you to learn that coffee is also a wonderful pick-me-up for your skin and hair?
Coffee comes from the seeds, or “beans”, of the coffee plant. The beans are found in the coffee cherries, or “berries”, growing on trees in more than 70 countries around the globe, primarily in Latin America, Southeast Asia and Africa. In fact, the stimulating effects of coffee were first discovered in Ethiopia in the 15th Century.
As you would expect, we at Blue Mountain Soapworks only use one of the world’s finest coffees, Jamaica Blue Mountain® coffee, in our delightful Blue Mountain Mocha natural soap!! Jamaica Blue Mountain® is made exclusively from the Arabica bean and is renowned as one of the best and most flavorful coffees in the world. We use both the brewed coffee and coffee grounds along with cocoa powder and vanilla to handcraft this delightful Jamaican natural soap. And the coffee aroma is natural – no fragrances are added.
So what does coffee in natural soap do for our skin?
Coffee in natural soap is wonderful for any skin type, from dry to oily to acne-prone to sensitive skin. Coffee in natural soap can:
- Exfoliate your skin – New skin cells are created in the dermis, the lower layer of our skin. The new cells eventually work themselves to the surface but, as we age, the process slows down and becomes uneven, giving our skin a dry, rough look. Exfoliation removes the dead skin cells on the surface of our skin to reveal the newer skin underneath. Coffee is a very effective natural exfoliant in natural soap. Coffee grounds are gritty enough yet not abrasive, so they exfoliate gently. Natural soap containing coffee makes a great scrubbing soap for both body and face and will help you achieve smoother, better-looking skin. It is also great for men because it helps expose hair follicles, allowing for a better shave and preventing ingrown hairs. Because exfoliation can dry the skin, we put wonderful oils and shea butter in our natural soap to keep it moisturized. Why spend your money on expensive chemical peels or products to exfoliate when you can use our Blue Mountain Mocha soap instead?!!
- Fight acne, eczema and psoriasis – The natural oil in coffee contains enzymes that detoxify, cleanse and help unclog pores, making it ideal for treating acne, eczema and other skin problems. Coffee oil is very similar to our natural body oils and has the same PH level as human skin. Your skin will absorb the oils in this natural soap, giving it a soft and silky feel.
- Reduce skin redness – The caffeine in coffee has the ability to constrict blood vessels (vasoconstrictor), making it very useful in natural soap for those who suffer from rosacea and skin redness. It will even out your skin tone. It can also help minimize the appearance of tiny “spider” veins on the skin.
- Reduce under-eye puffiness – While it may not get rid of those dark circles under your eyes (which are often hereditary), the anti-inflammatory properties of caffeine in coffee help minimize under-eye redness and inflammation. It also helps prevent the build-up of blood under your eyes which contributes to those dark circles. You may discover it as an ingredient in many eye creams.
- Absorb odors – When we cook, our hands absorb the unpleasant odors of pungent foods like garlic, onion, hot peppers, fish, etc. Keep this delightful natural soap on hand in your kitchen! It will remove all of these, and other, nasty odors from your skin. It really works! (Tip: Place a bowl of coffee grounds mixed with a little vanilla in your fridge to absorb unwanted smells.)
- Add shine to your hair – There are some nourishing oils in coffee beans. They help retain moisture levels in hair (and skin). Wash your hair with our Blue Mountain Mocha natural soap bar, rinse, and enjoy softer, shinier hair.
- Prevent sun & cell damage – Our cells and tissues are constantly under attack from excessive amounts of free radicals. Free radical damage is a known contributor to the premature aging of our skin, along with acne, eczema and other problems. Our bodies naturally fight off free radical damage with antioxidants such as vitamins A, C and E, and polyphenols, such as those found in green tea. The coffee cherry, the fruit of the coffee plant, has gained attention for its powerful antioxidant properties. Promising research studies have shown that the antioxidants in topical cream or solutions (and natural soap!) containing coffee/caffeine may prevent sun (UV) damage, or repair it if it has already occurred. In fact, extracts from the coffee cherry may even be three times stronger as an antioxidant than green tea (an antioxidant powerhouse)!
- Get rid of cellulite? – Recent studies show that coffee/caffeine applied to the skin may tighten and firm skin, reducing cellulite! Researchers in Brazil at Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (2007) and the Universidade de São Paulo (2008) found that the application of skin cream and solutions containing caffeine significantly reduced the size of cellulite cells by 17%. Caffeine apparently dehydrates fat cells by energizing them which causes the elimination of water and the sodium/potassium component of the cells. By massaging and rubbing the areas with natural soap containing coffee, the fat cells break up and the lumps and bumps of cellulite decrease. The end result is smoother skin.
- Lift your mood – Last, but certainly not least, is the spectacular natural aroma of coffee! The aroma relaxes us and clears our minds. Just the smell can lift our energy or mood. Smelling coffee is also known to reduce nausea.
How many natural products can boast of all these benefits? And you can get them all by bathing with a product such as our Blue Mountain Mocha natural soap handcrafted in Jamaica by Blue Mountain Soapworks. Beautify your skin with coffee! Your skin will look lovely and smell great too!